Monday, October 23, 2006

The Lotus Collection 2004

I conceptualised, researched and completed the Lotus Collection during the year 2004... hence the title. The collection of 21 paintings in varying forms and styles from minimalist to graphic realism were done on canvas in bold expressive acrylic paints to profile the dynamism and vibrancy of this incredible and spectacular aquatic plant.

I drew inspiration from its long history as an art form, as an article of food, its prolific ornamental form in decoration, its spiritual symbolism and sanctity in eastern religions, its representation of Purity, Longevity, Good Health, Fortune and Divine Wisdom.

For posterity I had this collection compiled into a catalogue for copyright and to mark the start of turning my talent for creating into designing as well. This revelation for me is more meaningful...selling designs I create compared to the opportunity of selling prints of my work. Originality is Omnipotent.

No comments: