Saturday, August 26, 2006

I spy I see series

When I struck on the idea of using burlap as a medium I had only thought of being different. At least I had not heard of anyone using nor seen any work done on this material then. Naturally I was very excited at the prospect thinking I was being very original and also at the challenge I would be presented.

Little did I know what a challenge it would become. Sourcing for burlap was to become a long and ardous task.
As preparation I had the material hand washed clean and sun dried. When I went to my framers to have it stretched and mounted it was only out of favour for me that they agreed to do so. It was tedious work

Its dull colour and absorbent nature presented me more challenges - the colours I used were turning out completely wrong and paint would simply disappear or appear as a pale shade of what I intended when dry.

Also to use brushes on such a coarse and rough surface became a painstaking exercise. I eventually used lots of primer and coats of paint to manage and get the finish as I intended. The end results of the series have been satisfying and certainly worth all the effort.

No comments: