Friday, August 11, 2006

A PRIDE AND JOY


My experience as a newcomer to the artworld taught me that establishing a 'gallery' would be the surest way I was going to create the opportunities for myself to pursue my passion for my (now) profession. I had a good feeling and you know "goodness is the only investment that never fails".(Thoreau said that)

I slaved daily to convert this empty space from scratch which I envisioned as my labor of love into an environment, driven by the concept that problems strengthen the mind as labor does the body. The repainting, the flooring, the lighting and some installations is my handiwork. The airconditioning,some additional plumbing the furnishing and fittings is the work of professionals. Sure I had all the time to reflect and all the workout I needed to strengthen both mind and body during the just less than 3 months of work The finished product was indeed the icing for the soul.

My place was up and ready and a sheer pride and joy. Swanky... maybe not ...but certainly cool,clean,cheery,comfortable and conducive in all practicality as my work environment. I have produced all my work and exhibited here since. The Gallery also made me more focused on the kind of work I now produced. It was more theme based on chosen subjects and I was by now into creating series of work.

The Gallery turned out as a 4-in-1 environment - Studio / my work station, Lounge to read and relax,Bar for my refreshments and snacks which doubled up to fashionably serve wines on occasion to guests and when entertaining. The rest of the space...all the wallspace became my display area and hence Gallery

No comments: