Tuesday, July 25, 2006

VERSATILITY MAYBE THE KEY


Natures' Solace (L) Footloose Fancy Free (Centre) Ol' Friends (R)


Perhaps versatility would be the key for me as a budding artist I thought . I would give myself the liberty to try my hand at 'a bit of this and a bit of that' and then discover what I was better at, what I felt comfortable with and realize the kind of work I truly enjoyed producing even if I already had my preference.

So I tried my hand at some work emulating the likes of Monet and fashioning my work adding brush strokes and improvising along the styles and techniques of other reknowned artists the likes of Rembrandt, Matisse, even Van Gogh. I just had to do all that if only for myself - not in a self indulgent way and certainly not to challenge these legends but to give myself a bearing of my ability, capability and a gauge to realizing my potential .

Experimenting with all types of work did lead me to choosing and sticking with 2 mediums for a start. I was using acrylic paints on canvas for most of my work now. Some of my work turned out reasonably well adding to my confidence and resolve to not only create but produce new work consistently be it abstract or impressionist or otherwise. It certainly was becoming rather thrilling,liberating and exhilarating

No comments: